Growing plants is a fascinating activity for kids. Yesterday’s article explained how to plant seeds in a plastic cup to watch them germinate. Today we’ll look at what happens when you change the orientation of the cup. Will the roots keep growing in the same direction or will they adjust and grow downwards again?
Growing Plants – Do Roots Always Grow Downwards?
One cup of seeds from the germination experiment, one day after roots have appeared
- Add some water to the paper towels so they are damp.
- Turn the cup on its side.
- Place the sideways cup in a dark room or closet.
- Leave it that way for two full days.
- Observe the direction the roots are going.
You should see that the roots have changed direction. Discuss what might account for this change. Could gravity be a factor?
Want to investigate further? Check out these resources: