Sooner or later every kid needs to do it – learn those US state capitals. There is no reason to just use rote memorization for this geography learning activity. This US state capitals bingo game will help students commit those capitals to memory.
Kids with different learning styles will benefit from this game. They can see the capitals on the cards. And they will hear the states as the caller reads the state names.
Who knows – with enough practice, maybe your student will come out at the top of his class at the next geography bee!
US State Capitals Bingo Game Instructions
- Use the links above to download the picture bingo cards and the call cards.
- Cut up the call cards and put them in a container.
- Give each player a picture bingo card and some markers to cover spaces. You can use pennies, small pieces of candy, poker chips, etc.
- Pick a random call card and say the name of the state printed on it.
- If the player has the matching picture of the state and capital on his bingo card, he covers it.
- Continue drawing call cards and having the students cover the matching states.
- When one of the players has covered five in a row – across, down, or diagonally – he shouts “Bingo!”
- Check his card against the call cards which were pulled so far to see that the states he covered really matched. If so, he is the winner for that round.
- Each player removes all of the markers from their sheets and you are ready to play again.